Thread: Plate Racing

Plate Racing

Given the discussion about Charlotte, figured we need one for the plate tracks. Also, it is where majority of people race online... Please delete/move if it belongs in the FAQ thread.

Are garage adjustments different for Talladega & Daytona than the other tracks? Meaning things like spoiler/springs/heights can't be adjusted similar to real life rules (please correct me if I'm wrong on what NASCAR allows for adjustments on plate tracks, I think they changed front ride height?)

To go fast at the plate tracks, do you require the "spongebob" setup where the front ride height is at 10 and rear at 5.5?

Can you stay hooked up with a car all the way around the track? 2 parts to this question:

1) How many laps before the engine starts to hit around 260? (For me with it 100% taped up, took 9 laps in IL) - curious about this to see if any of the recent radiator changes to break up the 2 car tandem are in place (hope not)
    2) How well do the cars line up with each others bumpers? For example, hitting someone squarely, can you bump throughout the turn or will they spin? (Hoping the whole Gen 5 vs. Gen 6 issue is gone)

If you have a wheel or had a chance to race someone with a wheel, how is the bump drafting? In IL, cars on controllers can hit each other as fast as possible (squarely) without spinning out. Unless you ease into the car for the person on a wheel, like in real life, they will go flying off the track.

Basically, I want to be able to run in a pack of 6-8 cars with the front 3 pushing each other all the way around with the rest close behind or on the high side doing the same, like we can now with IL.

Also, not specific to plate tracks - has the pitting bug been fixed? For example my race setup has a wedge of 53 and track bar of 4.7. When pitting, it makes the wedge 48 something and track bar 8. The car never handles the same even if the settings during pitting are adjusted to be as close as original setup.

Driver
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: EliteKilla29

Plate Racing

I hope that plate racing is fun and not boring. On inside line it was so boring. I hope the pack stays toghther and give us a challenge on NASCAR 14.
    Favorite driver: Dale Earnhardt Jr

Quote Originally Posted by EliteKilla29 View Post
    I hope that plate racing is fun and not boring. On inside line it was so boring. I hope the pack stays toghther and give us a challenge on NASCAR 14.
    Are you referring to online or in the game? I'll admit in the game it is boring, I can pull away from the pack by myself and open up quite the lead which makes no sense. One of the mod's said that plate racing is 'fun' with it at 100% difficulty, hoping they expand on this...

Driver
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: EliteKilla29
    Quote Originally Posted by Ender925 View Post
    Are you referring to online or in the game? I'll admit in the game it is boring, I can pull away from the pack by myself and open up quite the lead which makes no sense. One of the mod's said that plate racing is 'fun' with it at 100% difficulty, hoping they expand on this...
    Yea redwings ( the mod) told us about it in the FAQ thread. And yes I'm talking about in game. I just hope the AI gives us a challenge. I'm also hoping that the draft is really weak like in real life because that would make plate racing more challenging as well.
    Favorite driver: Dale Earnhardt Jr

It sucked racing on Inside Line, their are just two car tandems that get like 10-20 seconds ahead of the third place car. They really need to bring the pack back.

The pack depends heavily on the talent within the pack on IL. Also depends heavily on the restart mechanism in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by decatur playa View Post
    The pack depends heavily on the talent within the pack on IL. Also depends heavily on the restart mechanism in the game.
    Absolutely, you can tell after a few laps who the fast cars are. It appears to be random as well for each race, the fastest cars are not necessarily the top tier teams and can vary when restarting the race session. For example you can find a fast car that you can push all the way around and then the next race they are slow as molasses and run a totally different line.

I find that if you find a car that runs the bottom by themselves, you can push them all the way around the track lap after lap. Got a mid 45 second lap (dega) pushing Bowyer around but we almost lapped the field, they couldn't keep up. At the same time, some, although running the bottom by themselves, will brake-check/slow down in 1&2 and slide up. Cars that run the high line do this as well. The key is finding a car that runs the yellow through the corners and uses the momentum to slide up (not fight it) at the exit.

One of the mods mentioned something about an 'enhanced restart' where you have control of the throttle prior to hitting the line. While this is exciting in theory, I'm hoping it doesn't result in massive pileups and would love more info / a video of it in action. This is partially why I'm concerned about how bumping players on a wheel is in the new game.

Yea redwings ( the mod) told us about it in the FAQ thread. And yes I'm talking about in game. I just hope the AI gives us a challenge. I'm also hoping that the draft is really weak like in real life because that would make plate racing more challenging as well.
    Honestly, I'm ok with the current strength of the draft. Right now you seem to lose it if you .55 seconds off the car you are following at 195-203. Once you get going at 205-215, it feels like you get a whiff of the draft as much as .7 seconds off.

At the same time, are you referring to the closing rate when you are a few car lengths back? I'll admit that can be improved in the sense that it shouldn't be as strong. You can play with it a bit by adjusting grill tape and front springs but its a bit excessive.

Quote Originally Posted by T4coBurr1toK1ng View Post
    It sucked racing on Inside Line, their are just two car tandems that get like 10-20 seconds ahead of the third place car. They really need to bring the pack back.
    Yea, unless one of the mods posts a video of the racing action we wont know until we get to play it ourselves. At this point the game should mostly be done with minor adjustments being made here and there based on testing that identified bugs. Working backwards to the shipping date, considering printing the discs, packaging, distribution, there really isn't time left to make changes to the game as it currently stands.

One thing I'm hopeful for is that once the game comes out, we can provide some constructive criticism on how to improve it. For example, they might need to take that difficulty adjuster past a 100%

With the new restart I wonder will guys be doing the Montoya restart to give u a black flag.

Quote Originally Posted by decatur playa View Post
    With the new restart I wonder will guys be doing the Montoya restart to give u a black flag.
    I hadn't considered that aspect of it, that can get ugly real quick yet it adds the realism people are craving. Since this isn't a racing simulator, I'm hoping they took a simpler approach.

Perhaps you need to guess the amount you need to press on the pedal/button (maybe there is a guide showing too much / not enough?) to match your acceleration towards the line? If you hit it right you accelerate as you should whereas too much and you spin the tires, and just don't get going as quickly?

Test Driver
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: racertempo
    Will an upgrade to the game include the ban on bump drafting?

Driver
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Jlogano20
    Quote Originally Posted by racertempo View Post
    Will an upgrade to the game include the ban on bump drafting?
    It's not banned in cup, only NW and trucks.....and it's the tandem that's banned drivers can still bump and give a shove to another driver
    Go Joey "Sliced Bread" Logano!! Driver of the #22 Shell-Pennzoil/AAA Ford Fusion & #22 Discount Tires/Hertz Ford Mustang for Penske Racing
    10 2012 Wins/4 2013 Wins/ 2 2014 Win

Quote Originally Posted by Jlogano22 View Post
    It's not banned in cup, only NW and trucks.....and it's the tandem that's banned drivers can still bump and give a shove to another driver
    What are ya'll talkin' about?
    Bump drafting is not illegal in any of the top 3 series whatsoever, only in the ARCA series (which, isnt even NASCAR).
    NASCAR lets the drivers be smart and bump draft when they know too.

Also, the tandems arent banned either, NASCAR only banned driver communication, they made changes to the cars so its harder to tandem.

For tandems, They didnt tell them not to do it, they made it so its not possible.

Driver
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Jlogano20
    Quote Originally Posted by zackcart12 View Post
    What are ya'll talkin' about?
    Bump drafting is not illegal in any of the top 3 series whatsoever, only in the ARCA series (which, isnt even NASCAR).
    NASCAR lets the drivers be smart and bump draft when they know too.

Also, the tandems arent banned either, NASCAR only banned driver communication, they made changes to the cars so its harder to tandem.

For tandems, They didnt tell them not to do it, they made it so its not possible.
    so you have been under a rock for the past 2 weeks then????

http://www.sportingnews.com/nascar/s...-crash-daytona
    Go Joey "Sliced Bread" Logano!! Driver of the #22 Shell-Pennzoil/AAA Ford Fusion & #22 Discount Tires/Hertz Ford Mustang for Penske Racing
    10 2012 Wins/4 2013 Wins/ 2 2014 Win

Driver
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: xTAILGATOR911x

i didn't know it was for the trucks honestly either but thats only gonna make them 2 series more boring at those tracks which is probably what they wanna do make it boring so CUPs top dog again haha
    XBOX 360 -- REALTREE DIRT CUP SERIES: http://realtreedcs.forumotion.com

Oh my bad I havent been watching race hub :P

Test Driver
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Michaei Watts
    Well I hope they institute NASCAR Spring and damper rules to the cars on Plate Tracks. It would make it more of a IROC race. The racing would be a lot closer and put driving and strategy back into those races.
    Looking forward to watching Stewart-Haas vs. Hendrick in 2014

Michael Watts' career:
    http://forums.nascarthegame.com/threads/7133-Michael-Watts-Career

Wow that makes no sense, the big pack racing has always been dangerous... some would say more so than the tandem drafting where the cars aren't all bunched together.

When they first started doing the tandem drafting, everybody loathed it. I always thought it was a pretty cool change of style for the plate tracks. Now a few years down the road, it seems the majority of people I talk to like it much more than the current pack racing. I think this move by NASCAR is just a reciprocal response to the initial backlash from a few years ago, before people realized how much more exciting the tandems are.

Driver
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: xTAILGATOR911x
    Quote Originally Posted by King Sixstring View Post
    When they first started doing the tandem drafting, everybody loathed it. I always thought it was a pretty cool change of style for the plate tracks. Now a few years down the road, it seems the majority of people I talk to like it much more than the current pack racing. I think this move by NASCAR is just a reciprocal response to the initial backlash from a few years ago, before people realized how much more exciting the tandems are.
    Well the biggest deal i liked about the tango stuff is the lead changed multiple times per lap or throughout the race that was the cool part. The big huge pack is nothing but a follow the leader thing 2 sometimes 3 lanes thats about it and while that can be cool and cause huge wrecks, that for 188 laps wouldn't be that fun to watch. It would be like sitting on a major highway watching the cars go by.
    XBOX 360 -- REALTREE DIRT CUP SERIES: http://realtreedcs.forumotion.com

Quote Originally Posted by xOUTLAW83x View Post
    Well the biggest deal i liked about the tango stuff is the lead changed multiple times per lap or throughout the race that was the cool part. The big huge pack is nothing but a follow the leader thing 2 sometimes 3 lanes thats about it and while that can be cool and cause huge wrecks, that for 188 laps wouldn't be that fun to watch. It would be like sitting on a major highway watching the cars go by.
    Very well said. This past race at Talladega was embarrassing. It was just "follow the leader" up against the wall for the majority of the race. Even on the last lap, nobody even tried to make a move on Jamie Mac for the win. I guess we'll see what kind of plate racing we're going to get this year when they run the Sprint Unlimited in a few weeks!