Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Eutechnyx

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: RedWingsRule14 PSN ID: AERL_RCN_24 XFIRE ID: redwingsrule14 Steam ID: redwings_etx

NASCAR 2014 Review - Pre-Patch

(click the image to view gameplay videos, screenshots, etc)

NASCAR ’14 is Eutechnyx’s fourth installment of their NASCAR (formerly NASCAR The Game) series. Three of the four games were released on consoles, NASCAR The Game 2013 was PC only. It is set to be officially released on February 18th, 2014.

Before you head into your local electronics store to pick this game up, give this review a read and check out some of the gameplay we’ve posted to make a decision on whether or not NASCAR 2014 is right for you!

http://apextimes.net/2014/02/nascar-14-media-day/

Everything aside from online play was based off of Xbox 360 gameplay.

Graphics: Eutechnyx has always done a pretty good job on delivering a realistic looking experience, everything from the track to the cockpit looks very realistic. The windshields in game collect debris as the race goes on, until you can get a tear-off from pit road and the walls of the tires get scuffed up after you’ve hit something or wore them down. The damage has not changed all that much and can be very unpredictable, sometimes it seems realistic, sometimes it is not. The cars are no longer pieces of paper that shred, but now they almost take too little damage when hitting other drivers and objects. Other than that, there’s not much to complain about aside from the shadows, which can get blocky quite often. The game’s environments look great and the lighting effects have added a nice touch!

Score: 8/10

Sounds: The cars sound pretty good, especially when you’re riding on-board the roof cam or cockpit cams. Special attention to detail was done for sure, the closer you get to the wall, the louder the echo from the engine gets. You can also hear the poles for the catch fence once you get up close. Collision sounds are good the first time you hear them, but after that they get annoying and are simply unrealistic. It sounds like you’re smashing a pop can with your car tire again and again. The garage background noises are on a constant loop, which is expected, but you hear the same noises every 30 seconds, so make sure you get out of the garage as fast as you can. The music (lack thereof) is also saddening, the music that is there doesn’t fit the game.
    Score: 6/10

Physics: The cars drive pretty much like they did in Inside Line. The high-line is much more effective on the default setups and it will make racing a lot better assuming the guy you race is on the same setup. The cars don’t fall off nearly as much as they did before, which is not necessarily realistic, but it makes the race car much easier to drive after 20 laps in a run. The setups still don’t work properly, you can do things that would never work to make the car much faster, including tire pressures as low as 15 on the right and left side. The crash physics also struggle, you get launched off of other cars and off of the wall like a bouncy ball at times and it makes racing very frustrating as it can be unpredictable.

Score: 4/10

AI: The AI have gotten faster, but not smarter. When bunched up, the AI drivers are pretty unpredictable. If one car slips up, the whole line of them slams on their brakes and if you’re caught behind them you better be able to react quickly enough. If you’re able to get around them you will find yourself moving up the field like no other. They have no awareness at times, and will come down on you or even slam you into the wall, yet at other times they overreact to where you are on track and nearly wreck themselves. They are still on rails and still tend to play follow the leader from 15th on back. Another big issue is how they react to being bump drafted, 4 out of 5 times they will get loose and nearly wreck, so that’s a huge issue. The front of the pack can be really competitive. This year the AI actually will make passes and block, they race you a lot harder, which makes offline fun at times. It’s a step in the right direction and if Eutechnyx could fix how they bunch up, the AI would be near perfect.

Career Mode: I loved the NASCAR Thunder Series, as did many others, because of the immersive career mode that it had. NASCAR ’14 had expanded the career mode from previous installations and it’s actually a nice balance compared to what we’ve seen since Thunder ’04. Don’t get me wrong, it needs some additional things to be ‘deeply immersive’. You earn money throughout the season by getting sponsors and finishing up front, and that’s your available budget for the next event. From there, you can select what type of engine/chassis (and more) you’re going to run, and each will cost you a different amount. If you are low on funds, you’ll be stuck running crappy equipment. I found myself enjoying the career mode, you can customize your car and place sponsors where YOU want which was very important to me. The R&D feature is pretty cool and allows you to increase the performance of your equipment. Much better than previous career modes.

Online [Read at own risk, pre-patch and on PC]: We had a total of six people in a lobby, all were using custom cars, and the race ran pretty smooth at Daytona. There’s still an evident bubble off of the back of the cars, but it’s gotten improved enough to where you can lay into someone if needed. Caution periods don’t always work, sometimes people get stuck on pit road causing the pace car to go around and around. But we only had that happen twice out of about 20 races, so there’s a lot of variables around it. The online league feature is a nice addition, it needs a lot added to it, but for someone getting together with their friends to compete for the Sprint Cup Title it will do the job, you cannot customize the points, but that’s a very minimal thing in our books. It’s a good place to start, but again it needs a lot added to it.

Score: 7/10

Paint Booth: The paint booth is still the same essentially as what we saw in Inside Line. It’s more stable, and that’s a massive plus. But there’s not many new sponsors to use, and the graphics have been recycled once again making the variety of shapes and what not pretty low. For those talented enough to master the paint booth, they’ll be happy. The average user won’t be impressed, but it’s still not bad. Eutechnyx improved the user interface, making things quicker and easier to find. Aside from that, nothing has changed here.

Overall: The game has taken steps in the right direction, it’s far from perfect. But it’s actually an enjoyable game now. Career mode can be a lot of fun, and if you get a good group of people together to race online, online can be a lot of fun as well. If the issues get worked out, NASCAR ’14 would end up in the top 5 of NASCAR games in our books. But until then, the issues it still deals with will hold it back from its full potential. We’ll see how Eutechnyx handles the current issues, but for now here’s our overall score:

Lower End Overall Score: 6.5/10

Higher End Overall Score: 8/10 *

*Without the issues
    Last edited by Syn; 02-17-2014 at 06:19 PM.

Test Driver
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: racertempo
    Thanks! Nice review, can't wait till Tuesday!

thanks for the review, its nice to hear they are improving (still far from perfect)

I wonder if Eutechnyx is cool enough to add all 3 series, fantasy tracks, and fantasy drivers, to upcoming Nascar games.. I can dream

Champion Owner
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: BMM248
    Quote Originally Posted by blamethedogs View Post
    I wonder if Eutechnyx is cool enough to add all 3 series, fantasy tracks, and fantasy drivers, to upcoming Nascar games.. I can dream
    They shouldn't even dare thinking about doing that until they fix these huge issues.

Fan
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: vegaskiller73
    So custom cars are usable online with the xbox?

Eutechnyx

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: RedWingsRule14 PSN ID: AERL_RCN_24 XFIRE ID: redwingsrule14 Steam ID: redwings_etx
    Quote Originally Posted by cmiller73 View Post
    Customs were not tested on 360, only on PC they were tested. Sorry for the confusion.

Prawblems

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: L33T Pilot PSN ID: L33TPilot Steam ID: 1337Pilot
    You can't use customs online on Xbox 360, same as before.

Fan
    Gamer IDs

This is a review if N14. I know 360 cannot use custom cars. But the online review says they were using custom cars. The review does not mention if the review was on console or pc. J/S

Prawblems

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: L33T Pilot PSN ID: L33TPilot Steam ID: 1337Pilot
    This is a review if N14. I know 360 cannot use custom cars. But the online review says they were using custom cars. The review does not mention if the review was on console or pc. J/S
    It does on very top. I guess not lol.

Fan
    Gamer IDs

So this is a review of the PC version?

Eutechnyx

Gamer IDs

Xbox version for offline. PC for online

Where's the PC review???
    I want to know what controllers are supported and if separate controllers are fully supported?
    I don't know how many times I need to ask this question.
    I don't play with a controller, and I don't want to spend the money if my separate USB controllers aren't supported.

It would be nice to get an answer, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who wants an answer.

Fan
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by RedWingsRule:382088
    Xbox version for offline. PC for online
    Roger that. I see a comment was added about the gameplay. Thanks for clearing that up.

About what was expected. Some improvements with still some serious issues. Nice review.
    Proud member of the United States Military.

This review has most likely saved me some money. I won't be getting it since the AI still stinks. I guess i can check back and see if any patches fix the AI. I hate to offend anyone at EXT but I have to say something that's gonna hurt. This company hasn't got a clue about how to fix these issues. These are the same issues we've seen since the 1st game. I'm assuming that a small company can't afford to pay people who know how to fix it. unfortunately sheeple keep coming to the trough and eating up the same slop. If people would be more selective you would get a better game.
    Live life to its fullest, ignore haters, love your friends and family, and have fun.

Test Driver
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: flyer2359 Steam ID: flyer2359x
    Quote Originally Posted by Xboxoneson View Post
    This review has most likely saved me some money. I won't be getting it since the AI still stinks. I guess i can check back and see if any patches fix the AI. I hate to offend anyone at EXT but I have to say something that's gonna hurt. This company hasn't got a clue about how to fix these issues. These are the same issues we've seen since the 1st game. I'm assuming that a small company can't afford to pay people who know how to fix it. unfortunately sheeple keep coming to the trough and eating up the same slop. If people would be more selective you would get a better game.
    I agree. I also don't think it has anything to do with budget constraints. Monster Games who made Heat and Dirt to Daytona had an AWESOME game with an in-depth career on their 3rd game (DtD). Their frist two games were Heat (PC) and Heat 2002 (PS2 and Xbox) which were both good but lacked features. Here were are on our fourth game with ETX which still seems to be bug filled/major issues not worked out and probably won't be unless if they re-write the entire engine.

I wish we could get a good NASCAR game for once like everyone else, but I"m not spending $49 for a DLC. If online proves to be really good (which I already highly doubt) then I will probably pick it up, otherwise it's not going to happen.
    Flat Out Racing League (NR2003/ARCA Sim/rFactor): http://flatoutracingleague.weebly.com/

i agree has nothing to do with budget. they simply don't have the programmers with the knowledge to get the correct ai coding

Very well thought out review. The thing that sticks out the most to me is that there weren't ANY real surprises. It's pretty much what most people thought it WOULD be, and I find it hard to believe ETX will come up with any magic patches at this point. They've never really been able to make any noticeable improvements in the past using patches, and some of the issues the game is still suffering from are BEYOND anything that can be addressed in a couple of months.
    I will do a commentary review after giving the game a thorough shakedown to see if I can find any silver linings. I need to see how the game feels to ME firsthand, but I suspect I will have a LOT to say that goes beyond the game itself.

Fan
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Shloota
    Too bad there are still issues with basic aspects of the game, but nice to hear there are at least some improvements

As far as bump drafting at Daytona, I think some of it is that you can't bump draft in the corners well (saw the duels vid you posted and you loosened a few guys in turns), which is actually pretty realistic.
    RIP Kasey Kahne

I like GOAT

Liking the sound of the career mode more and more. R&D? Limited budget? I'm not going to be champ on my first season, and I have to work for everything.

Eutechnyx

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Artimae View Post
    Liking the sound of the career mode more and more. R&D? Limited budget? I'm not going to be champ on my first season, and I have to work for everything.
    If you use setups you can be just about as good at most tracks, but if you stick to limited adjustments it is a lot of fun and can be quite challenging

Quote Originally Posted by RedWingsRule View Post
    If you use setups you can be just about as good at most tracks, but if you stick to limited adjustments it is a lot of fun and can be quite challenging
    Well that's fine, I can't setup a car to save my life in the first place. I don't understand any of that nonsense, try as I might.

Quote Originally Posted by RedWingsRule View Post

(click the image to view gameplay videos, screenshots, etc)

NASCAR ’14 is Eutechnyx’s fourth installment of their NASCAR (formerly NASCAR The Game) series. Three of the four games were released on consoles, NASCAR The Game 2013 was PC only. It is set to be officially released on February 18th, 2014.

Before you head into your local electronics store to pick this game up, give this review a read and check out some of the gameplay we’ve posted to make a decision on whether or not NASCAR 2014 is right for you!

Everything aside from online play was based off of Xbox 360 gameplay.

Graphics: Eutechnyx has always done a pretty good job on delivering a realistic looking experience, everything from the track to the cockpit looks very realistic. The windshields in game collect debris as the race goes on, until you can get a tear-off from pit road and the walls of the tires get scuffed up after you’ve hit something or wore them down. The damage has not changed all that much and can be very unpredictable, sometimes it seems realistic, sometimes it is not. The cars are no longer pieces of paper that shred, but now they almost take too little damage when hitting other drivers and objects. Other than that, there’s not much to complain about aside from the shadows, which can get blocky quite often. The game’s environments look great and the lighting effects have added a nice touch!

Sounds: The cars sound pretty good, especially when you’re riding on-board the roof cam or cockpit cams. Special attention to detail was done for sure, the closer you get to the wall, the louder the echo from the engine gets. You can also hear the poles for the catch fence once you get up close. Collision sounds are good the first time you hear them, but after that they get annoying and are simply unrealistic. It sounds like you’re smashing a pop can with your car tire again and again. The garage background noises are on a constant loop, which is expected, but you hear the same noises every 30 seconds, so make sure you get out of the garage as fast as you can. The music (lack thereof) is also saddening, the music that is there doesn’t fit the game.

Physics: The cars drive pretty much like they did in Inside Line. The high-line is much more effective on the default setups and it will make racing a lot better assuming the guy you race is on the same setup. The cars don’t fall off nearly as much as they did before, which is not necessarily realistic, but it makes the race car much easier to drive after 20 laps in a run. The setups still don’t work properly, you can do things that would never work to make the car much faster, including tire pressures as low as 15 on the right and left side. The crash physics also struggle, you get launched off of other cars and off of the wall like a bouncy ball at times and it makes racing very frustrating as it can be unpredictable.

Score: 4/10

AI: The AI have gotten faster, but not smarter. When bunched up, the AI drivers are pretty unpredictable. If one car slips up, the whole line of them slams on their brakes and if you’re caught behind them you better be able to react quickly enough. If you’re able to get around them you will find yourself moving up the field like no other. They have no awareness at times, and will come down on you or even slam you into the wall, yet at other times they overreact to where you are on track and nearly wreck themselves. They are still on rails and still tend to play follow the leader from 15th on back. Another big issue is how they react to being bump drafted, 4 out of 5 times they will get loose and nearly wreck, so that’s a huge issue. The front of the pack can be really competitive. This year the AI actually will make passes and block, they race you a lot harder, which makes offline fun at times. It’s a step in the right direction and if Eutechnyx could fix how they bunch up, the AI would be near perfect.

Career Mode: I loved the NASCAR Thunder Series, as did many others, because of the immersive career mode that it had. NASCAR ’14 had expanded the career mode from previous installations and it’s actually a nice balance compared to what we’ve seen since Thunder ’04. Don’t get me wrong, it needs some additional things to be ‘deeply immersive’. You earn money throughout the season by getting sponsors and finishing up front, and that’s your available budget for the next event. From there, you can select what type of engine/chassis (and more) you’re going to run, and each will cost you a different amount. If you are low on funds, you’ll be stuck running crappy equipment. I found myself enjoying the career mode, you can customize your car and place sponsors where YOU want which was very important to me. The R&D feature is pretty cool and allows you to increase the performance of your equipment. Much better than previous career modes.

Online [Read at own risk, pre-patch and on PC]: We had a total of six people in a lobby, all were using custom cars, and the race ran pretty smooth at Daytona. There’s still an evident bubble off of the back of the cars, but it’s gotten improved enough to where you can lay into someone if needed. Caution periods don’t always work, sometimes people get stuck on pit road causing the pace car to go around and around. But we only had that happen twice out of about 20 races, so there’s a lot of variables around it. The online league feature is a nice addition, it needs a lot added to it, but for someone getting together with their friends to compete for the Sprint Cup Title it will do the job, you cannot customize the points, but that’s a very minimal thing in our books. It’s a good place to start, but again it needs a lot added to it.

Score: 7/10

Paint Booth: The paint booth is still the same essentially as what we saw in Inside Line. It’s more stable, and that’s a massive plus. But there’s not many new sponsors to use, and the graphics have been recycled once again making the variety of shapes and what not pretty low. For those talented enough to master the paint booth, they’ll be happy. The average user won’t be impressed, but it’s still not bad. Eutechnyx improved the user interface, making things quicker and easier to find. Aside from that, nothing has changed here.

Overall: The game has taken steps in the right direction, it’s far from perfect. But it’s actually an enjoyable game now. Career mode can be a lot of fun, and if you get a good group of people together to race online, online can be a lot of fun as well. If the issues get worked out, NASCAR ’14 would end up in the top 5 of NASCAR games in our books. But until then, the issues it still deals with will hold it back from its full potential. We’ll see how Eutechnyx handles the current issues, but for now here’s our overall score:

Lower End Overall Score: 6.5/10

Higher End Overall Score: 8/10 *

*Without the issues
    Thanks for the review was hoping someone would do some digging good stuff. Keep the rubber side down.Will be definatly picking this game up seems they are moving forward,I will give them thumbs up for that.
    Last edited by CanuckBoomer; 02-16-2014 at 11:54 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast